Simple Ways to Give Back
It’s the season of giving, but during the busy holidays we tend to forget the simple ways to give back to our local communities. Supporting local businesses is a powerful thing and helps keep money in the community. But there is so much more we can be doing. This holiday season, take a look around the town you know and love, and see how you can lend a hand.
There’s no doubt that communities all over the nation need help, from cleaning parks and highways to feeding the hungry and helping the elderly.
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Suggest your local grocery store host a canned-food drive. Help by partnering with a local food bank. To find one near you, visit http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/foodbanks/index.html.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter.
- Take your family to clean a park, shoreline, mountain, river or beach.
- Sponsor a local family in need. Often, low-income families need warm clothes, toys and food during the winter months. To find a family, visit http://thevolunteerfamily.volunteermatch.org/.
- Hosting a party? In lieu of gifts, have guests bring non-perishable, unopened items to donate. Toys for Tots is a great organization to help you get started.
- Enter your zip code on Local Independent Charities of America to help those in need in your local community.
- Grab some friends and neighbors and plan a community garden to start in the spring.
If community service isn’t rewarding enough, know that volunteering has been proven to be good for your health and happiness. Major bonus!
In what ways are you getting involved in community giving this holiday season?
From the Community