Ideas for Canned Tomatoes
Canned tomatoes are one of our favorite pantry staples because they’re so versatile. From whole, diced, stewed or crushed, it’s easy to find simple recipes that make delicious meals within minutes. When fresh tomatoes are out of season, canned tomatoes make for a perfect and affordable substitute.
The different uses for canned tomatoes are unlimited, but here are our top 10 suggestions for cooking with these pantry must-haves:
- Soup - Not only do canned whole tomatoes make it super easy to blend a pot of tomato soup, throw diced tomatoes into a variety of other soups for a burst of flavor.
- Salsa – Nothing beats the taste of fresh salsa, but when you’re in a pinch, simply throw a can of diced tomatoes into your salsa ingredients and chill.
- Bruschetta – Top a crispy French baguette with a classic bruschetta made with diced tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil.
- Spaghetti Sauce – Your dinner guests will never know it took you only five minutes to create a savory spaghetti sauce.
- Tomato Sauce - In addition to delicious spaghetti sauce, make a variety of creamy tomato-based sauces for chicken and fish.
- Chili – Whether you prepare your chili in the slow cooker or on the stove, diced canned tomatoes are a great add-in to just about any chili recipe.
- Stew – Adding canned tomatoes to stews couldn’t be any easier!
- Rice – Create flavor-packed Spanish rice by adding diced canned tomatoes, chopped onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder to cooked rice.
- Egg Dishes - From omelets to egg casseroles, adding crushed or diced tomatoes turns any egg dish into a gourmet meal.
- Drinks – Enjoy a nice glass of tomato juice in the morning? Create your own homemade juice by blending whole canned tomatoes with chopped onions and a few celery stalks.
How do you use canned tomatoes?
From the Community