1. Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl. Gradually mix in the salt 1/2 cup at a time. It’s easiest to mix with your hands. Wear gloves if you have sensitive skin.
2. Continue to mix until the oil is mostly absorbed into the grains. It will be very thick and mass together with a bit of oil seeping out. If it’s not coming together after several minutes, add salt or sugar in half cup increments until it’s a gritty oily paste (you will need more salt/sugar if using kosher salt and less if using a finer grain salt).
3. Add 2 drops red food coloring and mix well. Add additional essential oil at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon at a time for a stronger fragrance.
4. Scoop the scrub into little jars with holes large enough to dig the product out by hand. Wipe off the top of the jar before lidding as the salt can rust the metal lid.
5. To use, scoop a tablespoon of the scrub into damp hands and massage between your hands until you feel a gritty paste. Scrub your face and body in a circular motion until most of the salt crystals dissolve, then rinse.
6. Fills about 6 half-pint jars. Shelf life 4 months.