Recipe Makeover: Your Favorite Meals, Simplified
Comfort food is great…sometimes. The smells, textures and flavors can bring back great memories. Unfortunately, these old favorites don’t always reflect a healthy lifestyle. Often loaded with processed ingredients, excess dairy and meat products and a lack of vegetables, comfort foods remind us that there are reasons we should only indulge our cravings every once in a while.
It’s time to lighten up your favorite recipes, save some dollars and create simple, quick comfort foods!
Some of our simple, healthy substitutes are:
- Use Greek yogurt as a healthy alternative for a variety of products. From sour cream, mayo, salad dressings and more, Greek yogurt is one of the most versatile and healthier dairy products available.
- Replace sugar with honey when baking. The conversion is mostly 1:1.
- Substitute heart healthy oils (coconut, olive, etc.) for butter, when applicable.
- Replace expensive proteins, like beef and poultry, with nutrient rich veggies. You’ll be reducing the amount of cholesterol, fat, and calories you’re consuming – while also getting powerful nutrients and vitamins, saving money and reducing cooking time.
- Swap in whole wheat pastas for processed white pasta. Eating food at its most natural state increases health benefits.
- Eat with the seasons. You will be eating fresh, high-quality ingredients that are packed with what your body needs.