Coconut Oil 101
Unrefined, virgin coconut oil in all its rich and creamy glory has been quite the trendy fat source ever since hitting the shelves. Whether you use it to tame those luscious locks, remove eye makeup or sauté your favorite veggies, its mild, subtlety sweet and nutty flavor is sure to satisfy. Coconut oil is extremely high in lauric acid, a saturated fat categorized as a medium-chain fatty acid. Unlike the saturated fats in animal products like butter, evidence shows that coconut oil may have a neutral and even beneficial effect on cholesterol levels! Furthermore, because this superstar oil contains a variety of plant nutrients, it’s also loaded with antioxidants. Hit the tropics with one of these unique ways to use this versatile oil today!
- Lather your legs with moisturizing coconut oil after the shower for a smooth glow.
- Heat three tablespoons of coconut oil over medium high in a large pot with a lid. Add ½ cup of popcorn kernels. Shake constantly until all popcorn has popped and then sprinkle with sea salt for natural, “buttery” popcorn in minutes!
- Exfoliate naturally with this DIY Coconut, Brown Sugar and Rose Body Scrub (link: http://www.simpletruth.com/community/blog/guest-blog-coconut-brown-sugar-rose-body-scrub/)
- Dab a bit of coconut oil on a cue tip to effortlessly remove eye makeup without any harsh additives.
- Sautee a chopped head of broccoli in a tablespoon of coconut oil with fresh chopped garlic and sea salt for an easy side dish.
- Keep a bit of coconut oil at your desk for a simple hand cream.
- Swap out shortening in pie cruse recipes for trans fat-free coconut oil.
- For a soothing hair treatment, combine a tablespoon of coconut oil and a tablespoon of honey in a bowl. Apply mixture onto ends of dry hair, cover with a towel or show cap and allow treatment to sit for 45 minutes. Afterwards, go about your regular shower routine and say hello to healthy hair!
- Say goodbye to frizz by using a bit of coconut oil to smooth fly-aways.
- Swap out the butter in your next batch of cookies for dairy-free coconut oil.
- After your usual cleansing routine, smooth a bit of coconut oil onto your face for a moisturizing night treatment.
- Rub a bit of coconut oil onto skin to alleviate dry, flaky elbows.